A survey open to over 8000 couples has revealed some of the strangest gifts that guests bring to weddings. Among the most unusual gifts given in the survey, conducted by UK based gift website Engraved Gift Ideas were condoms, underwear, a salmon mold and a toilet roll holder.
The findings are part of a wider survey looking into the shopping habits of wedding guests and offer a unique insight into a wide variety of marital gift tables.
Here are some other tidbits from the survey:
- 12% of guests do not take a gift to every wedding.
- 40% of couples considered how much was spent on their wedding gift when returning the favor for other couples.
- 92% of participants said they are not influenced by the size of the wedding when choosing their gift.
- 53% of guests admitted that they are influenced by whether they are invited to the whole day or just the reception when hitting the shops.
- 56% will stick to the wedding registry.
- Most couples' favorite gift will be something that isn't on the registry at all.
- 65% of couples said their favorite gift was something that they weren't expecting.
So what can we learn from these findings and how can it help us to decide what to buy for couples on their big day? Well, even if a look at the registry would indicate that an expensive gift is required, in reality a well thought out gift that is unique to their interests might well get a better response. Even homemade gifts will grab the attention, with one couple mentioning a scrap book of photographs as being one of their favourite gifts.
Wedding guests shouldn't be intimidated by the size of the wedding they are attending and especially in these tough economic times, not worry about spending a fortune. The best gift you can give is your attendance on such an important day, so don't spend too much time stressing about what wedding gift you bring.
Written by Alan Grainger