Tuesday, March 16, 2021

An unexpected turn of events

Every two weeks I go to my parents’ house in north London to see how they are doing. I don’t see them a lot outside work so I try as much as possible to see them more often. For 5 years I have been living on my own. I live in Oxford. I do have two pets, a dog and a cat.

Dog and cat

 One day when I went to my parents’ house, my parents apparently had a doctor’s appointment. That day I had to go and run some errands in the morning in Oxford before I came to see them. They thought I would be at their house somewhere in the evening.  

 However, things did not go as planned. The shop that I had to go to was closed and I didn’t know about that until I got there. So I decided to go to my parents’ house right after this unforeseen situation. When I finally arrived at my parents’ house, I noticed that the front door was open. I assumed my parents had left it open for me. Apparently, they left the house in a hurry and forgot to close the door.

 My mum and dad didn’t inform me that they had a doctor’s appointment beforehand. They probably scheduled one that day and thought they would be back before I got home. 

 The only problem now was that I had left the house keys inside the car when I got inside the house and closed the front door. The front door of my parents’ house locks automatically as soon as you close the door. You can only open it by using the keys. So basically I was locked up inside the house, a house where I used to grew up in.

 We had only one exterior door. Plus, there was only one window on the ground floor and its window handle was broken. I tried to open it with many different tools that I could find in the house. I tried to open the window with a screwdriver. That did not work out really well. Then an idea of using a knife to open it came to my mind. That method was also not very effective.

 I had left my phone in the car so I could not call anyone for help. That is why I got upstairs and I opened the bedroom window. The next thing I did was shout really hard (and repeatedly), ‘’Hello, is anyone there?’’ Because it was a Saturday, most people were at home, resting. Luckily, after a few minutes out of nowhere I could hear a voice screaming back at me and asking if I needed any help. I was so happy to hear back from someone. It was a tall man, aged 40-45, who was walking out his dog. I politely answered back and told him that I was in need of help. I asked if he could call a local locksmith.

 And that is what the polite man did. He called a locksmith and we had to wait about 30 minutes before the locksmith arrived. I was very relieved to see the locksmith. The friendly technician arrived by car. He opened the front door in less than 10 minutes after which I thanked him and the polite guy who was walking out his dog. I gave the tall man a box of cookies as a way of showing gratitude. I always buy it when I go to see my parents. You could see the man was very content with his box of sweets and after a bit he left.

 Also, I paid the local locksmith  for his service and he gave me some advice on how to prevent situations like these in the future.  Shortly afterwards, the locksmith received a call for an emergency case where a person got locked out of his or her house.

 I can tell you that I will always remember the advice that the locksmith gave me that day.

Thank you for reading.